Saturday 3 March 2012

Blue Valentine

I watched Blue Valentine last night with my sisters. Great film - about the realities of what actually happens to particular couples after they go into marriage thinking its a fairytale, the wearing out of connections and how it becomes ok to disregard each others' feelings. It was very realistic - I felt like I was really looking into the characters (Dean and Cindy) life..
I'm still trying to depict how: but throughout this film there remained an uneasy atmosphere. As if something big was about to happen. Something extreme was to occur - blowing everything out of context, but this wasn't resolved as I would have wanted it to be. The entire film was centred around these two people so much that I started to feel claustrophobic myself. Perhaps this is because Derek Cianfrance wanted the audience to relate to it as much as they could, seeing the two different points in their lives and how it was so clearly and predictably mapped out (I can think of many who fit this right now!) It is a plotline which is done a lot, however these actors work well together and the soundtrack, I admit, was charming. Overall an enjoyable film - but a tad too cheesy, would have liked to see a glimpse of their future self in the early days.

No comments:

Post a Comment